Looking for a unique summer camp idea in the Bronx? Did you know that Maritime College offers fun adventure camps for various ages? Camp activities take place across the SUNY Maritime College campus, boat basin, and on the East River and Long Island Sound. Registration is slated to open in February, but the deadline to complete the financial assistance application is January 15.
Here’s what you can expect from Maritime Adventure Camps:
- Sail aboard dinghies, catamarans and keelboats with an instructor and your friends as crew.
- Learn to safely operate a powerboat with hands-on training.
- Earn your New York Boating Safety Certificate (10 years and up).
- Explore marine science through fishing and seining for marine organisms, learning the fundamentals of naval architecture, and much more.
- Paddle in kayaks and balance on stand-up paddleboards.
- Swim, dive and reach for the sky on the climbing wall in the pool. Test your balance and build confidence on the pool log roll.
- Splash in the East River on a water trampoline and other water toys.
- Enjoy games and activities that foster self-confidence, communication and teamwork skills.
There are two camps offered:
Splash Camp is for youth entering 3rd & 4th grade in the fall. It is a 1-week program, 9am-2:30pm. Extended Day is available from 2:30pm-5pm. Campers will get a taste of many waterfront activities! Six sessions are available.
Boat Camp is for youth entering 5th through 9th grade in the fall. Families can choose from three 2-week, 9am-5pm sessions of water-based fun & learning. Or, sign up for multiple sessions and keep the adventure going all summer long!
Families interested in applying for financial assistance can do so by the January 15 deadline. The Dr. DeAngelis Financial Assistance and Scholarship Program helps families that may not have the resources to participate otherwise gain access to all the fun our program has to offer. Awards are granted on a rolling basis, space permitting, based on application, and range from 10-80% of the registration fee. The deadline to apply for priority consideration is Mon. Jan. 15th. Learn more.
For those interested in a summer job, the following positions are now available:
- Summer/Camp Counselor
- Summer/Camp Waterfront AssistantSummer/Camp Sailing Instructor
- Summer/Camp Powerboat Instructor
- Summer/Camp Lifeguard
- Marine Environmental Science Educator – PAID internship
To apply, visit here.
For more information about Adventure Camp options at Maritime College, visit here.