Well, it certainly feels like fall here in the Bronx. And that means one thing- Boo at the Zoo at the Bronx Zoo! Boo at the Zoo is a yearly tradition that I’ve taken both my daughters to since they were babies, and I’m excited to share what this year has to offer. Plus, an exciting new event is taking place this October at the zoo as well- Dinosaurs in Darkness: The Hatching. Read on to learn more PLUS use our special promo code to save 15% off tickets!
First, here’s the scoop on this year’s Boo at the Zoo. Visit the Bronx Zoo on weekends throughout the month of October, including Monday October 10th since the kids are off from school! Check out the video below to get a sneak peek at what to expect:
Below are some of the fun seasonal activities to look forward to at Boo at the Zoo:
- Dinosaur Safari: This is your last chance to hit the walking trail and see 52 life-size dinosaurs and pterosaurs. The safari ends on 10/30.
- Candy Trail: Stop by and grab some Halloween treats while learning about some of the zoo animal’s favorite snacks.
- Butterfly Patio, 11AM-4PM
- Limit one turn per family.
- Costume Parade: Show off those costumes and see awesome stilt walkers and Halloween-themed puppets.
- Astor Court, 12PM, 1PM & 2PM
- Extinct Animal Graveyard: Combine Halloween and a little education by stopping by an eerie graveyard of animal species that are no longer with us PLUS learn how to prevent it from happening in the future
- Astor Court, 10AM-5PM
- Halloween Crafts: Create your own seasonal craft to take home at this fan favorite activity. Make your own trick-or treat bag before you hit up the Candy Trail
- Giraffe Corner, 11AM-4PM
- Magic & Mind Reading: Watch an animal-inspired magic & mind reading show for the whole family
- Grizzly Corner, Every 30 MInutes – 11AM-4:15PM
- Shows run approximately 15 minutes with 15 minute breaks in between shows. Last show is at 4:00pm)
- Pumpkin Trail: Follow the trail to see hundreds of expertly carved pumpkins
- Giraffe Trail to Somba Village, 11 AM-4 PM
- Pumpkin Carving Demos: Watch artists create giant animals out of pumpkins.
- Giraffe Corner, 11AM-4PM; Speed Carving at 11:30AM & 2:30PM
- Boo Playground: Enjoy Pumpkin corn hole, Witch’s hat ring toss, Candy corn bowling
- Astor Court, 11AM-4PM
- Trick or Truth Trail: Follow the trail to learn about “spooky” animals and bust some creepy myths
- Rhino Trail, 11am – 4pm
- Wildlife Theater: The Wildlife Witch’s Super Scary Halloween Show: Join the witch and all her creepy crawly friends. The bat, vulture, owl and snake (puppets) have a lot to say about how “creepy” they are in this funny short musical for the whole family.
- Astor Court, 10:45AM, 11:30AM, 12:30PM, 2:30PM, 3:15PM & 4PM
- Shows run approximately 15 minutes
Grab your Boo at the Zoo tickets here.
And now! Let’s talk Dinosaurs in the Darkness: The Hatching! If you’re looking for more of a spooky night experience, then be sure to check out this cool new event at the Bronx Zoo. Happening on Fridays and Saturdays from October 7th through October 29th, this first-ever nighttime Halloween event series only takes place on 8 nights!
When: October 7,8, 14,15, 21,22,28,29 | 7PM – 11PM
What to Expect:
Dinosaurs in Darkness: The Hatching is an after hours event at the Bronx Zoo that transforms the Bronx Zoo Dinosaur Safari attraction into a Halloween thrill on weekend evenings throughout the month of October. In the world of stranger-than-fiction, The Bronx Zoo has announced that a rare dinosaur egg, found intact after 65 Million Years, is set to hatch this Halloween on the zoo grounds. Scientists have said…what could go wrong?
- Recommended for adults and children ages 13+
- On average, the experience will take guests 35-40 minutes to complete
- Food truck vendors will be available for tasty treats and drinks
- Animals will not be on exhibit for this event
Bronxmama readers save!
Dinosaurs in Darkness is $23.95 for WCS members and $29.95 for the general public. Parking is $10 if parking is not included in your membership. But Bronxmama readers can save 15% on tickets by using promo code BRONXMAMAHATCH.
To reserve tickets, visit here.