The BDC Films Fellowship Program invites traditionally underrepresented documentary filmmakers to participate in a free year-long documentary filmmaking fellowship at the BDC. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis through Tuesday, September 21, 2021.
The Bronx Documentary Center (BDC) created BDC Films in response to the lack of support for traditionally underrepresented documentary filmmakers in the Bronx, as well as the changes in storytelling professions that require a broader skillset for potential employment in creative industries.
Through such offerings as documentary filmmaking courses and professional development workshops; mentorships; documentary film screenings and panel discussions; equipment loans and low-cost rentals; access to free meeting and work space; and a video editing suite, Bronx filmmakers will have the necessary tools to tell their own stories and gain employment in creative industries.
In addition to enhancing skills, BDC Films is dedicated to strengthening the BDC’s artistic community by creating a peer-to-peer support network and hub which fosters dialogue and empowers Bronx filmmakers. The BDC is expanding its existing documentary film programming to include regular screenings of work by emerging Bronx filmmakers and an annual Documentary Film Festival.
Participants are provided with:
• Workshops with established documentary filmmakers
• Professional development courses
• Professional filmmaking equipment
• Production and post-production space
• Co-working space
• Mentorship from BDC staff and visiting filmmakers
• Opportunities to present their work to the public
• $3,000 stipend + screening fee for presentation of final work
• Peer support
The BDC seeks to identify fellows who:
• Identify racially, culturally or economically with a historically underrepresented population;
• Are at least 18 years old;
• Live and work in New York City, preferably in the Bronx;
• Are not currently students or enrolled in any degree-granting program at the time of the fellowship;
• Are not participating in a comparable development, fellowship, or residency program;
• Have not written, directed, and/or produced a full-length documentary film that has screened at a national or international film festival.
• Are not currently full-time employees or board members of the BDC.
• Are not traveling within the months of September to November.
*Due to the nature of fieldwork, participants must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.