Since the pandemic, the community has come together in ways we couldn’t have imagined. One way is via community fridges- we’ve shared a list of Bronx locations with you before. One fridge we’ve highlighted in the past is Mott Haven Fridge.
Aside from the tremendous work they’re doing at their actual fridge site, the folks from Mott Haven Fridge help save food from the Hunts Point Terminal Market that would otherwise go to waste and deliver it to over 18 different community hubs. But they need our help!
Thanks to coverage over on Mommy Poppins, they’ve put together a perfect step-by-step of how you can help distribute food to one of the 18 fridges in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx.
Mott Haven Fridge makes it easy and fun to help feed fellow New Yorkers. Here’s how it works:
- Fill out this form:https://bit.ly/3plNGtz – Select “driving donated food” and Saturdays.
- Someone will reach out with volunteer slots.
- On Saturday you drive to1925 Turnbull Avenue in Castle Hill, The Bronx.
- Volunteers will load up your car with donated fresh produce and give you the locations of a few community fridges of your choice in Upper Manhattan & The Bronx.
- Drop off the food at the fridges.
- Feel great all week knowing you made a huge difference in dozens of people’s lives.
No car, no problem. They will even reimburse you for Zipcar rental, gas and tolls, if needed.
Can’t drive? Still not a problem! Check off any other interests that apply!