After pivoting to a virtual event in 2020, we are excited to share that the 13th annual WCS Run for the Wild at the Bronx Zoo will be in person- with new safety protocols of course! After the year we’ve had, what better way to safely enjoy much needed quality time with friends and family- all while saving wildlife! This year’s participants will have the opportunity to be a part of either a 5K Run or a 3K Family Run/Walk.
What is Run for the Wild?
The Run for the Wild 5K Run & 3K Family Run/Walk supports WCS’s conservation work at the Bronx Zoo and around the world, protecting the Madagascar lemurs and other endangered wildlife. The run gives participants the opportunity to enjoy 265 acres of Spring in full bloom at the Bronx Zoo and gain exclusive access to the park on race day (the park will be closed to general public), including all rides and attractions (includes Bug Carousel and Nature Trek).
The entire day is filled with activities and entertainment. Those who meet the minimum $35 fundraising requirement will receive free parking and race-day swag, including the official WCS RFTW 2021 t-shirt, race bib and finisher’s medal. It’s also a great way to support our favorite zoo and be part of a fun tradition!
- Race-day activities and entertainment include:
- Photo ops
- Costumed characters
- Stilt walkers
- Puppet adventures at the Wildlife Theater
Fun facts about lemurs:
- These primates are emblematic of the island of Madagascar, and are found nowhere else on Earth!
- At the Bronx Zoo’s Madagascar exhibit, you can encounter 4 lemur species – often active, using their strong hind legs to leap from limb to limb and rock to vine: Red-Ruffed Lemurs, Ring-Tailed Lemurs, Brown-Collared Lemurs, Coquerel’s Sifakas
- Lemurs are a species of primate, older than monkeys
- Lemurs once lived in mainland Africa but were driven to extinction by competition from monkeys and other primates that evolved later
- WCS has worked in Madagascar for more than 20 years, with the goal of ensuring the long-term conservation of the country’s unique biological diversity
Safety Protocols in Place for the 2021 WCS Run for the Wild 5K & 3K Family Fun Run/Walk at the Bronx Zoo
All interactions in-park are contactless. Race-day swag (t-shirts and bibs) will be mailed to participants prior to race day, removing the need for onsite check-in.
On Race Day, WCS RFTW participants will have exclusive access to the Bronx Zoo. The park will be closed to the public, which allows more space for social distancing.
The race will have multiple starting points (5K start at Bronx River and 3k start at Southern Boulevard for walkers), with one finish point (Fountain Circle), which will allow for added space during the run/walk.
There is a limited total capacity and staggered, capped heats (500 participants per heat, every 30 minutes beginning at 8AM and continuing through 12:30PM) throughout the day, which also ensures adequate space for social distancing.
There will be sanitizing stations available throughout the park for frequent hand washing.
In-park regulations will adhere to CDC & NYS guidelines, which may include onsite health assessment screening.
There are 2 reasons to register early!
- Limited capacity
- Enough time to receive your race- swag prior to race day
- Plenty of time to fundraise to support a great cause!
So what are you waiting for!? Get your Run for the Wild Crew together and head to wcsrunforthewild.org to learn more and register!
This post is brought to you by WCS The Bronx Zoo. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.