For July 4th, we packed our bags and headed 2 hours to Lake Harmony in the Poconos to meet up with family for a fun lake trip. Having family 2 hours away in New Jersey, the Pocono Mountains is a great midway point to meet throughout the year. Being summer, we wanted to find a place to stay on one of the many lakes located in the Pocono area. With a huge percentage already being booked for the holiday, I spent quite some time perusing HomeAway for the best option.
While we weren’t able to find any homes right on the lake like the one we rented back in February, I was able to book a home just a two minute walk down the road from Lake Harmony – right in Lake Harmony Estates. Our stay included passes to the nearby private homeowners beach, which is across the lake from Split Rock Resort’s private beach.
Check in wasn’t until 4, but the homeowner allowed us to arrive early to pick up the pass to the beach from the housekeeper. This way we were able to enjoy the day on the lake as soon as we arrived. We spent the rest of the day hanging out at the lake until it was time for dinner.
We headed back to the house so everyone could shower and get comfortable while we prepped dinner. The adults hung out on the porch around the grill as the kids played. With ten people, we planned our meals for the two nights and two mornings we’d be there- which was easy with the kitchen being stocked with essentials.
There was also a firepit outside with plenty of firewood so we spent the second night enjoying conversation around the fire. Normally we bring s’mores ingredients too so that the kids can enjoy a special treat- but they were so exhausted from the lake that they lounged on the sectional as the adults enjoyed the fire.
The morning of checkout, we had an early breakfast and cleaned up the house before departing. In addition to reviews that you can leave for your HomeAway experiences, the homeowners can also rate you as a guest. It’s a great way to build a reputation as a guest- so that future homeowners will easily accept your booking.
Overall, we had a wonderful time on Lake Harmony thanks to our host and HomeAway. To check out homes available in the Lake Harmony area, head to www.homeaway.com.
Tips for Using HomeAway in the Summer
- If you’re looking to cut down on cost, create a meal plan for your stay. For breakfast, eggs and homefries are simple and abundant for a larger group. For dinner, purchasing whole chickens and cutting them yourself can be more cost efficient. Rice or potatoes are also great sides that can feed larger groups for less.
- Ask the homeowner about specific items you know you’ll need. If you’re unsure about particular items, just ask. It might make sense to bring along that huge sancocho pot if you’re planning to cook a huge meal- but oftentimes you’ll be surprised as how stocked the kitchens are.
- See what linens you need to bring. Some houses request you bring your own sheets and towels. Others you just need to bring beach towels.
- When it comes to toiletries, it’s not a hotel. Toothpaste, soap, etc are usually not provided- so be sure to pack.
- Some homeowners have a cabinet full of board games. If not, bring along some fun items to enjoy as a family in the evenings.