Christmas is almost here and we are so excited. The holidays mean time with friends and family- and also yummy food!
Christmas and New Years Day is a great time to have a simple but delicious breakfast or brunch recipe ready. Casseroles are always a great idea since it’s quick, easy, and not much clean up so you can quickly get back to family time.
Johnsonville asked us to recreate our own holiday brunch dishes uses their breakfast sausage, so we spent Sunday afternoon with Chef Geronimo doing just that- with our own Bronx flavor added of course!
We took a classic casserole recipe and added a Latin twist.
Huevos Ranchero with Johnsonville
Yields 2 servings
-1 Roma tomato
-1/2 red onion
-1/2 green pepper
-6 eggs, whipped
-4 Johnsonville Original Recipe Breakfast Sausages
-1/2 can tomato sauce
-1/4 cup white vinegar
-1/4 cup chicken stock
-tablespoon vegetable oil
-avacado and cilantro for garnish if preferred
1. Heat oil in small skillet and sautee onion, pepper, and tomatoes.
2. Deglaze pan with white vinegar and add chicken stock, then tomato sauce
3. Pour half of mixture and half of sausage into casserole dish and pour in whipped eggs.
4. Bake until fluffy.
5. Top with other half of sauce and sprinkle with remaining Johnsonville sausage.
6. Garnish with avacado
Next up was a Johnsonville twist on Patacones.
Yields 5 sandwiches
-1 green plantain
-2 Johnsonville Original Recipe Breakfast Sausages
-package of frying cheese
-1 small jalapeño
-a pinch of fresh cilantro
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut ends from plaintain, remove skin, cut into 1/2 inch slices and fry until light brown. Remove from oil, flatten and return to oil until golden brown.
2. Slice 1/4 inch pieces of frying cheese; fry until golden brown.
3. Butterfly sausage pieces and sear in a skillet.
4. Take half of avacado, mash with diced jalapeño, chopped cilantro and splash of lime to desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Assemble sandwich and enjoy!
For more great holiday breakfast and brunch recipes, visit johnsonville.com
Thanks to Johnsonville for another fun opportunity to create our own dish. We were supplied a gift card and coupons to complete the recipe.